|Add Memory | Add To Friends|
|loner-skyz (profile) wrote, |
on 3-28-2005 at 5:44pm
|Current mood: restless
Music: Mrs. Potter's Lullaby - Counting Crows
Subject: if dreams are like movies than memories are films about ghosts..
|FACTS ABOUT LGBT YOUTH
* Gay and lesbian teens are more likely to commit suicide than their heterosexual peers, accounting for up to 30% of all completed suicides among teens.
* 50% of lesbian and gay youth report parental rejection because of their sexual orientation.
* Up to half of the gay and bisexual males forced from their homes engage in prostitution as a means to support themselves.
* The average age at which lesbians and gays acknowledge their same-sex orientation is between 14 and 16 years of age for males, and between 16 and 19 years of age for females.
* The U.S. Department of Justice has stated that homosexuals are probably the most frequent victims of hate crimes in the United States.
* 42% of homeless youth identify as gay or lesbian.
* 19% of gay men and 25% of lesbians report suffering physical violence at the hands of a family members as a result of sexual orientation.
* 97% of high school students report hearing homophobic comments made by school staff.
* In 1992, the Hetrick-Martin Institute reports that 80% of gay and lesbian teens experience feelings of severe isolation: social isolation (having no one to talk to), emotional isolation (feeling distanced from family and peers because of their sexual identity), and cognitive isolation (lack of access to good information about sexual orientation and homosexuality).