home | profile | guestbook

Just a fool in the rain

recent entries | past entries


:: 2005 28 September :: 8.28am

Vote Gator Impact Party!
So. Yeah, not much has been going on. I have just kind of been trying to get through this week so it would be this weekend. At the same time, I know that's bad to do, because the sooner this weekend comes, the sooner it is over. I just kind of want to get out of Gainesville for a few days. I think I will feel a lot better coming back. Either that or I will feel worse and will be in even more dog withdrawl. Don't get me wrong, I'm having a good time in college and it's better than high school and blah blah blah. But next year is going to be seriously awesome. Atleast I am through the awkward few weeks of getting acquainted. That was not fun. Now I pretty much have an (or a few) established group(s) of friends, and I have a schedule down for sleeping, working, socializing, etc. I really am a lot happier when I have a lot of structure, and college is the first time (although I didn't realize it until I got here) where a structure isn't assigned to you. There's no Ms. Kelly telling me what classes to take and no band practice telling me how to spend my afternoons. I just do what I want, when I want. Which has resulted in me sleeping a lot. I like sleeping. The thing is, I have no afternoon classes, with the exception of thursdays. Monday and tuesday I have class until 10:40 and then no class until 6:15. So I come home, I eat breakfast, I watch the price is right, and I sleep until four. Wednesday and friday I'm done with classes altogether at 10:40. So I come home, I eat breakfast, I watch the price is right, and I sleep until four. It's really a great system. Because I'm most productive later at night. This way I get about 8-9 hours of sleep each day, it's just in two installments. So I go to bed at 2 and wake up for class, then I get another 3-4 hours of sleep in the afternoon. It also prevents the days from really dragging on. Because in the early afternoon there really isn't anything to do. I don't feel like doing work, because again, I am much more productive between the hours of 12-3 AM, and it's not like I can go hang out somewhere with people, most are in classes during that time. It's just very nice.

In other news, I find myself too often living in the future. I already have a pretty good idea of the classes I want to take next semester, and I have tentative planned living arrangements for next year. Man, if my roommate doesn't get into UF, it's going to suck. We have such a good plan going. She likes Sasha and doesn't mind Trixie, and we both decided at the same time how awesome it would be to have a kitten. So a few weeks after school starts next year we're going to go down to Gainesville Pet Rescue and adopt a kitten. Our appartment will be a zoo. Craziness. But regardless of whether or not she gets in, I'm still going to live in an appartment with sasha, and hopefully kitty. I really think it's going to be awesome to be able to take her to prevet meetings, and go to the dog park, and everything there is to do up here. So many places to walk. And I think next year I will hardly be homesick at all. I do miss my parents, but not that much. I talk to them a few times a week. Right now I mostly miss my dog and my friends. And next year it won't matter if I go home, my friends won't be there. They'll mostly all be in college too. Crazy juniors, growing up. Anyway, where this started was, I am more nervous for my roomie getting into college than I was getting into college. I always knew I had UF to fall back on, but it's really borderline for her, so let's all pray that the UF gods smile on her and she can move to the bougan in the fall.

So, recent events. Today is student government voting, and the whole campus has gone insane. I have been attacked approached three times in Turlington plaza by representatives of the Gator and Impact parties. And once at the Reitz. I really don't think I'm going to vote though, only because I don't think I've made up my own mind. In the presidential election I had no problem voting, because the candidates' platforms were so well publicized. These people don't even have platforms, it's just the parties, and even those platforms are so similar that it wouldn't matter who won. I think also I've been really swayed by The Alligator, and I don't want them to have made my mind up for me either. The editorial section of that newspaper is so one-sided it's insane. So I really think I'm going to leave voting up to the more informed than I. I don't know, maybe when I'm over at the reitz after class I'll vote. If there's not a line. I'm going over to the Reitz today anyway because it's the study abroad fair. I really think I'm going to be spending some time over there. I want to go to Ireland or Australia. Somewhere where they speak english. What I really really want to do is get an internship with the Australia Zoo, but I doubt that will happen. I don't think I want to study abroad right now anyway. I think I'm going to try to get a job at Boca Greens vet this summer, and maybe also work at camp. That way I'll have a pretty good bank role coming into next year, when I have to buy furniture and pay electric bills and such. We'll see how it all works out. The prevet club is promoting a trip to Belize, to work in the rainforest and stuff. That sounds intriguing, and I may look into it. This prevet club is effing awesome, I love it. Last meeting Dr. Brendemuhl (sp?!?!) spoke. He's the Animal Sciences guy. He talked mostly about vet school applications, and I spoke to him afterwards to ask what kind of stuff I could get a head start on to give me an edge in getting in. Cross your fingers. First things first: get an A in 2045. That's not really going as planned. Boy am I glad I switched out of 2046. Man. Eh, it's not like I'm failing. I have a B. And we drop our lowest test. So it's not impossible, I really just have to start to work harder. We took a quiz today in discussion (quizzes at 7:25 AM are NOT cool.) and it was hella easy. So I'm pretty sure I got a 100 on it, which will definitely help my grade. Plus all the OWL and clicker points. Yeah. I also have to raise my grade in TV. That almost hurts to say. Stupid TV and American Society, who thought that would screw me over? Problem was I was expecting the test to be a piece of cake, but she put things on it like a quote and we had to say who said it. It was rediculous. But again, we drop a test in that class too, so as long as I do better on all the others, and keep doing all the extra credit, I should be able to squeak out a 4.0. God willing.

Alright, kiddies, speaking of TV and American Society, it's time for me to go learn about the portrayals of groups on television. Yay. Later.

Sing for me...


:: 2005 25 September :: 3.05pm

Stolen From Amanda

ColorQuiz.com Lauren took the free ColorQuiz.com personality test!

"Wants to make a favorable impression and be recogn..."

Click here to read the rest of the results.

Lauren's Existing Situation
Active, outgoing, and restless. Feels frustrated by the slowness with which events develop along the desired lines. This leads to irritability, changeability, and lack of persistence when pursuing a given objective.

Lauren's Stress Sources
Resists any form of pressure from others and insists on her independence as an individual. Wants to make up her own mind without interference, to draw her own conclusions and arrive at her own decisions. Detests uniformity and mediocrity. As she wants to be regarded as one who gives authoritative opinions, she find it difficult to admit to being wrong, while at times she is reluctant to accept or understand another's point of view.

Lauren's Restrained Characteristics
Circumstances are such that she feels forced to compromise for the time being if she is to avoid being cut off from affection or from full participation.
Willing to become emotionally involved as she feels rater isolated and alone. Egocentric and therefore quick to take offense, though she tries to avoid open conflict.

Lauren's Desired Objective
Wants to make a favorable impression and be recognized. Needs to feel appreciated and admired. Sensitive and easily hurt if no notice is taken of her or if she is not given adequate acknowledgment.

Lauren's Actual Problem
Needs to be valued and respected as an exceptional individual, in order to increase her self-esteem and her feeling of personal worth. Resists mediocrity and sets herself high standards.

Lauren's Actual Problem #2
Strongly resists outside influence and any interference with her freedom to make her own decisions and plans. Works to establish and strengthen her own position.

Sing for me...


:: 2005 18 September :: 3.43am
:: Music: Boys from Old Florida

If you ain't a gator, then you're gator bait!
That game was fucking awesome. We kicked Tennessee's ass 16-7. Volunteer your mother.

I'm finding weird spots of blue paint on me. I think it's from Will?

I met Leah and Jackie at the Reitz, after I bought some face tattoos and got a beat Tennessee sticker. We had lunch in the food court and coincidentally sat at a table next to Molly Scott. Good to finally run into her. Then we headed back to Lakesiiiiiiideee on the bus. We found Gabe and David at the bus stop. I also found sunglasses at the bus stop and took them. Now I don't have to buy sunglasses. Anyway, Gabe and Jackie tried to bargain some sexual favors in exchange for a Tennessee ticket, but that fell through. We got on the bus and hung at Lakeside for a bit, got our face tattoos on, and waited for Jamie. Once she got home me, Leah, Jamie, Zach, and some random chick went over to University to check out the action there. Tons of tailgaters. We got free t-shirts, but I left mine at the game by accident. Umm...what else. Oh, the crowd over by UF plaza was crazy, and we didn't get any free drinks, which pissed me off. Anyway, at about 6:50 we headed back to the swamp, half trying to sell Leah and Jamie's tickets, but they couldn't get more than $100 each. So we went into the game and the madness began. Our seats were amazing, eighth row in the Gators endzone. Zach said his friend said we were on TV, but I'm not positive. We took some pictures and whatever, and then Leah and I went over to say hi to Ale in the bando section.

Yeah, I'm a little too drunk to finish this, I might do it later.

Ummm...maybe I should write these things down when they happen, so that I remember what happened later. Will came in the game at about 10 till 8, after Mike and Burke had come in with their full body paint (and cape). I caught his attention in the aisle, and he was a total asshole. He was like "ok, I'm going down to the good seats, you guys have fun here in row 8." So I was like fuck you, until I realized how incredibly drunk he was. So the game started and we scored a touchdown in the first quarter. They tied it up 7-7, but then we got three field goals throughout the game. It was really a battle of the defences. Sometime during the first or second quarter Will left to do something, and then on his way back stopped to talk to me. So I asked for his keys, and he said Don't you have your car keys? And I told him no, they're in my dorm room. So he was like ok whatever, but you have to drive the car over to my place in the morning. So I said fine and took his keys. During the second quarter Leah's leg really started to bother her, and she and jaimie left at halftime. I made friends with some of the guys in front of me though...who ended up being 25, but they were cool. They snuck in a water bottle filled with vodka and bought a few pepsis during the game and spiked them. I thought it was good planning, since the vodka just looked like water. But they were really nice, they offered to get us stuff from the snack bar and whatnot, and we talked about football some.

After the game it was awesome because we were right at the corner where the football team congregates for the fight song and the alma mater. I got some good pictures. Right before the game ended though it was crazy. Cops literally poured down onto the field. They brought out police dogs too. Not drug dogs. Belgian Malinois. With muzzles so they didn't attack their handlers. Crazy. They were so afraid people were going to storm the field. And we wanted to. But anyway, on our way out I took pictures of will and his crazy painted friends and the "swim team."

Allison and I walked over to Hume, where we parted ways, and I started down to lakeside. I called Leah to see what she wanted to do, and we kinda decided just to stay in and hang out. Tom walked from lakeside and met me halfway so I wouldn't have to walk alone in the dark. We hung out at lakeside and celebrated a bit, then chilled for a while and I caught a ride home with Tom. I pretty much just crashed in bed then and slept till two. I gave Will the car keys shortly thereafter on his way to lunch with P&E. Then I spent all day working and wishing that tylenol wasn't $8 a bottle. I feel accomplished though, because I got through my whole to-do list from friday that I didn't do. Yay me.

So tomorrow is class and studying, then chem test tuesday. This is a busy week, so we'll see how it goes. I am soooo psyched to be going home in less than two weeks. I can't wait to see Sasha and to go to Phantom. And do laundry for free. And have my own room. And pick up all these things that I forgot to bring. And and and...yeah, only two more weeks. I just really want this week to be over. *sigh*

Tom690009: am i in ur journal?
Skillet9886: no
Tom690009: no?
Tom690009: not at all?
Skillet9886: no
Tom690009: nothing like "tom pissed me off today"
Skillet9886: no
Tom690009: or "tom turned me on today it was so hot"
Skillet9886: no
Tom690009: damn
Tom690009: what the hell kinda journal is that?
Skillet9886: one about me
Tom690009: what about you?
Tom690009: like "I like tacos"
Tom690009: or like "school sucks"
Skillet9886: neither
Skillet9886: like actual coherent sentences
Tom690009: like "Today, I wrote a paper."
Skillet9886: actually I'm writing about yesterday right now
Tom690009: so like
Tom690009: "yesterday, I saw Tom after the game. He was so sweet to me, he walked with me and talked with me. It really turned me on"
Skillet9886: yeah
Skillet9886: something like that
Tom690009: lol
Tom690009: dont lie to me!


Sing for me...


:: 2005 16 September :: 5.25pm
:: Mood: blah

I felt like shit yesterday. Wasn't sick, just felt like shit. Depressed, I guess. I'm feeling a little better now. A little..

I woke up yesterday around 8:40 and decided to skip class. Then I thought about the C I got on my RTV test and went. Stupid Wildlife Issues. It's so pointless. After class I came back and went to sleep until noon, when I woke up, got my shit together, and went to Stats discussion. I forgot my calculator, but we didn't need it. So then after stats I went to lunch with Will, which was nice. I enjoy going out to lunch with him on Thursdays. We went to Tijuana Flats, which is always good. We finished lunch and he walked me over to Norman to find the Education Library, where my next class was meeting. That was soooo boring. We sat for an hour and a half learning how the online library system works. Then we had to do a little assignment on the computers there, which was really easy. The library lady was really nice, but still. We walked as a class back over to Little for the other hour and a half of class. We watched a video called Behind Closed Doors about the oppression of homosexuals at UF in the 50's. Yep. So after that class ended I called my mom on the way to chemistry. Chem is still stuff that I already know, but he goes really quickly. Hopefully it's not going to suddenly get into stuff that I have no idea about. Right now we're on calorimetry. I mean, we still have to do kinetics, equilibrium, acid/base, etc. Nevertheless..

Once chem ended I SNAPed over to the vet hospital to attend a prevet meeting. I think that's when my day started to go downhill. There were several people there with their dogs, one with a sun conure. There was a greyhound for adoption. It's just...*sigh* We had elections and then the professor of Animal Science spoke for a while about the vet school application process. It was reiterated to me how necessary it is for me to get a 4.0. And I have to get a job. Like next month. That really sort of irked me, because part of the reason I came to UF was so that I didn't have to get a job. I guess the financial bubble will be good though. The closer I get to it, the less confident I am that I will get into vet school. When they ask little kids what they want to do when they grow up, they don't say anything about what you have to do to get there. It's just going to be a very difficult four years. And then an even more difficult four years. And then the real world. I guess in a way I'm just kinda mad that my situation is so different from Will's. He does nothing, nothing. His extracurriculars include co-founding Student Poker Society. And he's not going to grad school, but he's going to make as much starting salary as I will ever make, and without the grad school loans. It's just frustrating I guess. I dunno.

So after the vet school meeting I was feeling rather blue, unsure about the future and missing my dog. I sat out in the common area and watched the Fresh Prince for a little bit with Nina, Hilary, and Connie, and then everyone went their separate ways to do work. I went on the computer for a bit and did...nothing. Then I went to bed and listened to Phantom on my discman.

I think I'll feel a lot better when I visit home Sasha. It's going to be such an awesome weekend. I'm going to go to the ATL football game and cheer on the bandos, then Saturday I'm going to see Phantom!! Mezzanine seats! It's going to be so fun! Sunday I'll go to the dog park I think, maybe out to lunch with some high schoolers. Then we'll come back Monday afternoonish. In time for chem class, hopefully. I have a list of things that I need to get when I go home, and it's like 15 things. Rediculous.

I've run out of things to say, so I guess I'll post more later. Or not.

Sing for me...


:: 2005 10 September :: 3.42am

I'm thinking about just calling it quits on this journaling thing. I don't really think anyone reads it/cares.

1 Song | Sing for me...


:: 2005 9 September :: 12.36am
:: Mood: loved

facebook.com kristen williams (emory) has written on your wall... Thu 09/08 1k
facebook.com queanh phan (fau) has written on your wall... Thu 09/08 1k
facebook.com jane li (uchicago) has written on your wall... Thu 09/08 1k
facebook.com molly lonergan (ucf) has written on your wall... Thu 09/08 1k
facebook.com andrea zarikian (texas arlington) has written on your wall... Thu 09/08 1k
facebook.com allison george has written on your wall... Thu 09/08 1k
facebook.com amar mandalia (umiami) has written on your wall... Thu 09/08 1k
facebook.com eun joo (northwestern) has written on your wall... Thu 09/08 1k
facebook.com elena rueda-de-leon (fau) has written on your wall... Thu 09/08 1k
Honors Mailbox Honors Daily Opportunities List Thu 09/08 16k
facebook.com lyndsay sheppard (fau) has written on your wall... Thu 09/08 1k
facebook.com tyler lego (fau) has written on your wall... Thu 09/08 1k
The Chronicle 9/8/2005 Daily Report from The Chronicle of Higher Education Thu 09/08 11k
facebook.com amanda hilsenbeck (eckerd) has written on your wall... Thu 09/08 1k
facebook.com anghela paredes has written on your wall... Thu 09/08 1k

My email today. I feel loved. <3

I was sooooo worried about how my birthday was going to go, and it was rediculous. I thought maybe we would go out to dinner with a few people, and that would be it. Oh my goodness, was I ever wrong. Leave it to a birthday to make you feel loved and accepted. Not only did Nina, Rachel, Lauren and Peggy throw me a party last night with the whole floor. Not only did Will buy me lunch at Chipotle after stats. But today when I got home from chemistry, Hilary had ANOTHER cake and ANOTHER party in the commons area. My parents, in addition to sending me cookies shaped like dogs (and balloons) sent me five birthday cards. I don't know why, but they did. Two were from pets. One had a check to pay for my birthday dinner with will (which I will go to this weekend, I guess). Then I went out with Allison, Gabe, Angie, Anderson, James, Hilary, Tom, and Leah to Olive Garden to celebrate. They sang again and brought me another cake. I'm glad I'm not diabetic after the past two days. It's crazy!

My birthday present to myself was skipping Wildlife Issues and sleeping in until 10:30. Stats, lunch with will, Current Issues (where I got FIVE phone calls), chem, hilary's surprise party for me, dinner, poker with some guys on the floor, here. It was a fun day. One of my better birthdays. And the only birthday in a good long while where I actually feel older. 19 is old. But for the degree to which I was dreading my birthday, it really turned out well. I feel luffed. ^__^

Sing for me...


:: 2005 7 September :: 11.51pm
:: Mood: chipper

Happy Birthday to me!
Today started off shitty, but ended up pretty good. Just a really crazy day. Woke up at 7:16. Yeah, I have a 7:25 class on Wednesdays. So I threw on some clothes and ran out the door, hauled ass over to Leigh, and got there about 7:33. I opened the door, and the room was completely empty. Looked on the board: "Chem 2045 First period discussion CANCELLED. Sorry!" Oh man. My legs hurt so bad from walking over there sooo fast. I was originally pissed off, but after a few minutes I was glad. It would have been worse had the class actually existed and I was 10 minutes late. So for once, after having a shitty yesterday, I looked on the bright side. And it could have been raining. That would have been worse. So on the way back to bed I called my dad to wish him a happy birthday before he went off to work. He seemed really surprised that I had called, and even moreso that I had called so early. So anyway, I got home and slept for an hour before my next class. Went to TV and American Society, discussed the fact that Kanye West said "George Bush doesn't care about black people" on the Hurricane Katrina telethon, and went back to my room.

I've been feeling kinda blue about my birthday, because even though I have a bunch of friends up here from high school, I'm still kinda finding my place up here. So I was just messing around after class, considering doing some stats or taking a nap, when the phone rang. I got a package!! It took me forever to figure out what it was, because all I saw was a box with balloons sticking out of it. But alas, my parents had sent me a thing from Cookies by Design, and it's all sorts of cookies shaped like dogs. The only problem is they're HUGE and iced, and there's like 6 of them. I'll share. Otherwise I'll have to throw them away, and that's bad. Anyway, so that brightened my day a bit.

After that I met Angie and Kristen over at the Reitz so we could go over and pick up our football tickets. Sort of. We were picking up Leah's and my tickets, and Angie's using Leah's ticket. Kristen was there ...just because. But she didn't come to the Swamp with us, she left from the Reitz. So the three of us went on over to the swamp and we got really good seats. Section 31, row 56. After we got the tickets we caught the bus to lakeside and had lunch over there. I took the bus back after lunch and did some work over at hume before going to the Equestrian Club meeting with Angie. It was good, but almost all of the people there were really experienced riders. I kinda just want to take lessons and play around, so I'm not sure how active I will be with the club. *shrug* Have to figure out where I'm going to get the money for lessons. I got back from the meeting and cooked myself some soup for dinner. Then we had a fire drill. So we went outside and stood out there across the street for like 20 minutes. Then I came back in and finished my dinner, went on dogster for a few minutes before Nina knocked on my door. She said oh, I have to talk to you, but I have to go get my phone first. I thought it was a little weird that she had to talk to me, but that's fine. As she was getting her phone, my phone rang, and I had to go downstairs and give Will the car keys. When I got back up, there were a lot of people in the common area/kitchen, especially for a wednesday night. So when I got about halfway down the hall they started singing. Surprise birthday party! Nina baked me a cake. ^_________^ It was so nice, and made me feel really good, especially since I had been kinda down about the whole birthday thing. I was glad to see that people that I have kinda weak relationships with right now really do consider me a friend and would go out of their way to spend all evening doing something nice for me. And the entire floor was out there singing. XD Just made me really happy.

So tomorrow's class schedule sucks, but it's ok...I'm really cheerful now about my birthday and everything. I'm hoping that I did this honors paper right. We'll find out tomorrow. I'm going out to lunch with Will in between Stats and Current Issues. Hopefully present. :) I love presents and packages, they're awesome. It can brighten up your whole day. Must remember to send more packages. After classes tomorrow we're rounding up the gang at Olive Garden to celebrate more. Should be a good time.

Scary thought for the day:
Lauren (12:00:57 AM): I'm old.
Will (12:01:23 AM): yes, kudos on that
Will (12:01:41 AM): now, together we're 40.
Will (12:01:43 AM): that's old.

Sing for me...


:: 2005 6 September :: 3.03pm
:: Mood: N/A

Let's see. Where were we.

Friday night I went to the Black Greek Explosion with Leah and Anderson. Right from the very start it wasn't that great. Leah and I arrived at 5, like the website said, only to find out that it wasn't supposed to start until 7. So we went over to subway because Leah was hungry. We met this kid Josh in the subway line. He's in cicerones. I may try out for it in the spring. Don't think I'll get in, but what can it hurt? Then we went back over to the auditorium around 6:30. Not many people were there, but by the time they opened a door, there were hundreds of people crowded around it. They sent us to another door, and the mob of pushing people was just insane. I'm not claustrophobic with places, but I am with people. It was just body to body. Insane. The opened one door, and everyone shoved in for a free-for-all of finding seats. Luckily, we all managed to get seats, waaaay over on the right side of the auditorium. But it was all good, I was just glad we had seats. The show was pretty cool, but long, seeing as how it didn't start until 8:30 and we had been there since 5. Anderson helped me track down a teacher at the end, and then we just kinda hung out trying to figure out what to do. Anderson and I went and played mini golf, and then he walked me home. Saturday was craziness. People parked all over the grass and everywhere to tailgate.

Hilary's parents came over at 11, so we woke up around 10. Met her family, they're nice. Then around 2 we went over to Plaza of the Americas to tailgate. The amount of people that had poured into the city overnight was unbelievable. It was a nice gathering, lots of family and friends of Hilary. Her uncle apparently comes to every home game. He lives in Tampa. A big group of people walked over to Beatty to show Hilary's-uncle's-friend's-daughter what the dorm was like. When we arrived at Beatty I broke off from them to go find Will. I had just had my fill of hanging with a large group of people that I didn't know. Granted, Will was tailgating with the Greenbergs, but still. We went to watch the players come into the stadium, then headed back to plaza of the Americas. I introduced Will to Hilary's family, because he wanted a water, and then we met back up with the greenbergs. We watched the band warm up, and then followed the band to the stadium. It kinda made me want to do marching band again. After the band left we went into the O'Dome because apparently Mr Greenberg and/or Mr Deegan have huge alumni status. There was a volleyball game going on, in which we beat UC Santabarbara, and we got free drinks. The game was awesome. I sat with Allison and we had really good seats. Afterwards Allison, me, and a friend of hers had dinner at Subway in the Reitz and then went over to watch Madagascar at Gator Nights. It was pretty fun.

Sunday I slept in, and then Hilary, Dan, Nicole, Andy and I went over to the museum to see the FBI Files. They were really cool. That guy Mesches is crazy. Anyway, after that I was kinda planning to go out with that same group to dinner, but I had had enough of hanging out with other people's friends. I just wanted to hang out with my own friends. So I went over to Leah's and we ordered Chili's take out, which was really good. Then we went with Tom to go to see 40 Year Old Virgin, but it was sold out, AGAIN. So we went to blockbuster and rented Hide and Seek. It was good, but kinda creepy, and I knew the ending from the commercials. It was fun though to hang out with friends. I've been hanging out a lot with new people, and it's kinda getting old. I dunno. Sometimes I just like to have familiarity, and I wish that I already had a group of friends. I hate transitions. I keep on thinking how much better next year is going to be, but then I think that I'm wasting this whole time by thinking about that. This is only four years long, and I don't want to waste 25% of it by wishing it was closer to being over. Eh, I dunno. It's just...I knew I was going to miss my dog, but it's worse than I thought. Because I kept on telling myself I'd only be without her for a year, but these past two weeks have made me think that a year is a very long time. I just can't wait to go home in october and see her.

Anyway, where was I? Monday? Yesterday. Yesterday I woke up around 2:30 and started working on my chem OWL homework. I thought it was due at 5:00 yesterday, then the first page of the site said 11:59 yesterday. The second page of the site said 11:59 next monday. So I worked on it pretty much from the time I woke up until around 6, when I got ready to go over to Peter and Emil's appartment to watch the Miami FSU game. Both teams played horribly, which made for an exciting game, but I was happy because Burke brought her dog over. XD She's so cute! And I was playing with her for like three hours. I came home around midnight, and attempted to get some more chem done, but it wasn't happening. So I went to bed. I couldn't sleep at all last night. I wanted to start up the computer and write, but I couldn't really start it up because it was 2 AM and it makes loud noise. So I got out my Wildlife Issues notebook and just started writing. It's hard to write in the dark. I turned up the brightness of my high tech clock, but the light is blue, so I couldn't see the lines on the paper. It reminded me a lot of what Mesches said about the blacking out on the FBI Files. Really scattered...kinda followed my thoughts. Anyway, I plan on posting atleast some of it up here, but I have class in an hour, so I better get my shit together for that.

Sing for me...


:: 2005 31 August :: 5.42pm

So today I got up before the sun rose. Yeah. It was friggin early. Stupid first period class. I walked all the way over to Leigh for my chem discussion, knowing fully that it was not worth the time. We have spent the last week in chem discussing conversions and what a mole is (Small furry woodland creature). So I got there about 7:10. Richard was in my class, and that was good. I like having someone I know in the smaller classes. Although.. when we went around the room saying our name and major, he introduced himself as "Ricky" and I thought it was strange. I talked to Allison later, and she said that he's been going by Ricky in college. So anyway, our TA walked in, a little groggy and a little grouchy, wanting to be there even less than myself. She went over AGAIN how to register our clickers, then talked about what an isotope is. She asked if we had any questions, and when no one did, she just let us go. At 7:34. We were in the class for 9 minutes. I had not planned on going back to the dorm after chem; I had brought a book to read over in Weimer before RTV started. But, as it was, I had two hours to waste. So I went back to my dorm, set my alarm for 9ish, and went to sleep. It was a nice hour nap, but then I had to get up for class. RTV was actually pretty interesting today. We got to listen to much of the War of the Worlds broadcast from 1938. This was the first time I had heard the actual broadcast, though I had heard a lot about it. Honestly, even though it's kind of funny, I can see how people were freaked out by it. They really went out of their way to make it seem like a normal news broadcast. And even hearing Orson Welles' disclaimer at the beginning, it kinda sounds like it got cut off by this newsflash alien invasion. Dunno, I just can understand why there was a panic. If you got a little freaked out, and called your friend, and they were freaked out, it would be a huge deal. Anyway, this class, like most of my others, is rediculously easy and total BS.

I read in The Alligator yesterday that they closed the Sinkhole. It made me sad on the inside.

Went with Allison to pick up our football tickets, and we got great seats! We also got free t-shirts. They're pretty cool.

Finished my Stats extra credit quiz. Still have a bit of reading to do for Current Issues, but not until after dinner.

Sing for me...


:: 2005 29 August :: 11.14am
:: Mood: amused

Today started off normal enough....difficult to wake up, but I managed. Read the Alligator before class, then we talked about studies done to see the impact of movies on children. Wednesday we get to listen to the War of the Worlds broadcast, and that should be entertaining.

On the way back from class I stopped at the ATM at the Reitz to get some cash money, because my wallet was filled with receipts. I'm not exaggerating. I spent my last $7 on dinner last night. I decided to go over to the bookstore to pick up my clicker for chem class, and on the way I saw a sign for the poster sale, which I had forgotten was today. Rock! So I spent a few minutes perusing the posters. I got a nice Dave Matthews one (though I was disappointed that their Dave selection was so limited...one.) and one that had a picture of a tiger in the snow. I almost bought one of Johnny Depp and Orlando Bloom in PotC, but...yeah, I didn't. I already spent $15 on these posters, and it was black and white, as is the Dave one. I think having 2 black and white posters will be worse than just the white walls. To be perfectly honest, I was a little embarassed even looking through that stack, since it was made up almost entirely of Johnny Depp and Orlando Bloom. Didn't want to make it worse by actually pulling a poster out. Heh. :-[

I debated whether to actually wait in line at the bookstore for the clicker, but I figured since I was over there, might as well. Apparently I had been postponing the inevitable, for in my quest to find a bookstore employee to find out where the clickers were, I ran into Ryan Merkel. Now, usually this would not be a good thing, but getting an opportunity to make fun of Merkel to his face brings a little sunshine to my day.

Context..this morning's Alligator featured an article called Kappa Sigma Breaks Ground. Kappa Sigma is the frat house that Merkel has been bragging for like a year about getting to help build. Some may recall the "I'm building frat houses in my spare time" conversation at the band concert. Well, this article caught my attention for a rather amusing quote.
Kappa sigma member Ryan Merkel is assisting Stevens in heading the construction. Merkel said they chose the property because of its location. "Being next to the sorority area would be beneficial, and there is no Fraternity Row land," he said.
So, running into him in the bookstore, I immediately brought up the article to break the silent awkward tension.
Me: "Oh, I read about you in the Alligator this morning."
Merkel (holding a Gainesville Sun Times): "Thank you, I'm in a few newspapers today. ...And they misquoted me in both."
Me: "Oh yeah, hahaha, I enjoyed the quote in the Alligator."
Merkel, explaining to his friend: "I said something about being near the sororities would be beneficial...." (to me) "But now everyone at UF will think I'm a huge horn dog."
Me (yes, I was wondering where the term horn dog came from too...but it's a direct quote.): "And that's different from yesterday how?"
Merkel: "Oh shut up." As his friend laughed hysterically..

It was just a good moment. I love when he walks right into those things. Just makes it so easy.

I eventually got my clicker, and still have to register it online. On my way back from the bookstore Theodore, our resident Alligator, was out sunning himself. May have just eaten, or perhaps simply warming up for the day. He's getting really big. When I saw him in January he was pretty small, but now he's up to a good 4-5 feet. I'm concerned that Graham Pond may be becoming a bit too small for him. Well, he can probably live there for atleast another 2 years or so. I want to go down there with my camera. I could get some awesome shots with my new (I still consider it new) lens. I just don't want to look like a moron. Maybe I need to worry less about what passerbys think. If I can convince someone to go with me then I'll go. I suppose if Theodore gets too big and he can climb up over the wall thing they'll move him to Lake Alice. They legally can't kill him, because Graham Pond is a wildlife sanctuary. Anyway...just random thinking on my way back from class.

I think now I'm going to take a nap, since my next class isn't until 6:15. Maybe if I wake up in time I'll go down and do some laundry, now that I have a few ones.

Sing for me...


:: 2005 28 August :: 5.12pm
:: Mood: sleepy

Yesterday was a lot of fun too. Let's see....I woke up a little after 2, then went out shopping with Will. I had to get some things at Publix and I also needed to return my chem 2046 books and get a chem 2045 book. The thing that sucks is there's this thing called OWL included with the book that has a registration code and whatnot, so you can't buy the book used. Well, I guess you could, but it's less expensive to get a new book than it is to get a used book and purchase an OWL separately. New chem books are $164. Boo. Luckily, Will, the master of finding cheap books, saw an opened book sitting on the shelf. Inside the front cover, an unopened OWL. The book was marked used, but was clearly just opened, because the OWL was unopened. Opened chem book, $123. Saved $41. So then after returning the other books, it only cost me $78 more for this book. I think I have all my books now except one for my honors class and my stats book. I still have not decided whether or not I'm going to actually buy the stats book. It says in the syllabus that you need the 5th edition, which means you have to buy it new for $112, and that it comes with a CD of some sort. I'm hoping that you don't actually need the CD for any sort of grade-y reason. Because I am so done with spending money on books. I have spent probably $250 so far. And I still have to buy that honors book from the publisher, and subscribe to a magazine for $45. I feel like Charlie Brown. UGGGGHH!

Anyway, after the bookstore I went to Publix and spent another $50 buying groceries. :( College is so expensive. I am just really getting tired of worrying about it. Like I spent so much time thinking about how free it was to go to UF, and it's not free at all! Just because I'm not paying tuition and rent doesn't mean I'm not spending money. This is a new concept.

When I got home I went out to dinner with Hilary and some of her friends from high school. We went to Moe's and I had a really good burrito. "This burrito is good, but it is filling." When we got back we went over to the Westside and played Cranium. I was on a team with Andrew and Tory, and we lost. Miserably. But that's ok. They decided to go bowling, and I declined an invitation to join. I think I had just reached my limit. I like meeting new people, but it's hard to hang out when I'm the only new person there. They all know each other from high school, and it's difficult to really be part of the group. So I just decided to come back to the dorm and see what would arise over here. I was watching a bit of Phantom of the Opera and talking to my mom when Nina, Rachel, Lauren, and Peggy went out into the kitchen to bake a cake. Usually when they go out to bake a large portion of the floor shows up and we have a good time, so I decided to join them. David came out, and we asked him about his life story. Somehow one thing led to another, and he suddenly jumped up, got really excited, and said "Do you guys want some balloon animals?" It's even funnier, though, because David is from Moscow and has a pretty thick russian accent. So we were like...sure. Apparently he had a job making balloon animals at restaurants, and he's really good! Let's see..first he made a monkey for Nina (a monkey that had swallowed a coconut...very cool), he made a heart with two doves sitting on it for Melanie, he made a Harley Davidson for Laura's boyfriend, he made Sangni an octopus, he made Lauren a butterfly, Peggy a flower, and he made Rachel something...I don't remember what it was. He made me a really cool palm tree with a monkey in it. ^_^ I put it on top of my desk lamp. I have pictures, but I forget how to put them in the journal. Maybe snapfish. Hehe, people are out in the hallway now talking about what David made them.

So after we ran out of balloons, we kinda sat around the common room talking for a few hours. Me, one of Nina's Brown friends, Hilary, David, and Sangni got into a pretty heated argument about religion and poker. By the end of it I was ready to kill Sangni. I just can't stand it when people say everything as if it's fact. He's one of those people that doesn't even consider the possibility that he might be wrong. It was awful. He thinks he's an expert on like everything. Argh.

Went to bed at like 4:30, and woke up around 12, after my alarm rang for an hour, to go to the SHO BBQ. It wasn't that fun, but it was good free food. I hung out there for about an hour with Kristina Chechotka, and we talked about stuff. After I came back Kris and I played some chess, and he kicked my butt. I am sooo rusty.

Right now I'm gonna go out into the common area and watch the Laguna Beach marathon. Should be interesting.

Sing for me...


:: 2005 27 August :: 2.08am
:: Mood: hopeful

Kind of on a high from a fun evening.

I took a nap after class, because I was really tired from yesterday. I'll get into what happened yesterday after I explain what happened today. So I woke up Will woke me up shortly after two to look up a phone number for him. He still has no internet. I resisted the urge to go back to sleep and stayed up. I went to Orange and Blue textbooks with Hilary and her friends to pick up some stuff for classes. When we got back she went to temple with her friends, and I haven't seen her much since. Honestly, that's fine with me. I've talked to Rachel about this a few times. It's not that I don't like Hilary. We get along fine. It's just that a lot of times when I come home I hope she's not in here. I just think I'm really independent, and it's hard to be with someone constantly. I just like to be able to sit at my computer or watch TV or listen to music without worrying if it's too loud, or whatever. Again, it's absolutely nothing personal against her, it's totally me. Luckily, she likes to stay out late, so most nights she doesn't come home until I'm asleep.

After she left I went out into the Kitchen where Phil, Sagni, Nina, Jon and George were. Apparently Sagni had rolled a black and mild, and was totally toasted. He had the munchies worse than anyone I had ever seen. By the time I got out there he had made two bags of popcorn, and was using both microwaves in the kitchen to simultaneously pop two more bags. He was shoveling that popcorn so fast into his mouth, and Phil was just losing it. He thought it was the most hilarious thing he'd ever seen. It was sooo fun hanging out in there because it was just so funny. Sagni regaled us with stories of his former career as a professional poker player. Some people left to go...to the gym I think. I don't remember. But anyway, Nina, Sagni, Kris and I went into Nina's room and watched American Pie. Rachel came home, and we ordered some five star. Good deal, large pizza, garlic rolls, and a 2 liter soda for $13. And they deliver right to the dorm. Excellent. Afterwards we sat around and talked a bit, then decided to go out. We wanted to go bowling, but we recruited a lot of people along the way who wanted to go to the midnight breakfast over at the Reitz. There was a large line. But it was fun. It was me, Nina, Rachel, Stefan, George, Lauren, Peggy, and another group of people who sat at another table. We had an awesome time sitting there talking until we got kicked out by the cops. We got home at about two and went into George and Stefan's room to listen to George's crazy song about Kentucky. "Where the sky is blue and the grass is too." It was just a really fun day. Very college-y. Now I'm just kinda sitting here watching Family Guy.

Yesterday was not so much fun. I walked all over the campus about 8 times going to and from class, and trying to track down an advisor to switch my chem class. Luckily I got the class. The only problem is I have first hour wednesday discussion. It's ok, it's only one day. Thursdays are freaking busy though. I think it won't be so bad once the classes actually start taking up their allotted time, but right now they end so early that I can't just sit around, because it's so hot. So I walk back home for an hour, then walk back out to my next class. I have four classes Thursdays, one of which is three hours long.

Anyway, I'm going to go to bed, so I'm not so exhausted tomorrow.

Sing for me...


:: 2005 24 August :: 11.08pm
:: Mood: frustrated

What are you pretending not to know?

Sing for me...


:: 2005 22 August :: 2.21am
:: Mood: content

This morning Hilary and I both slept in till about 11:30. Makes sense, since we were out late and talked until 3 AM. Ah well, that's college. ^.^ Gabe called me when Hilary and I were contemplating breakfast/lunch, so he drove over to hume, and we all walked to Gator Corner dining. It was good food, but it was $6.90. I don't have a meal plan, so boo. I stole an apple in my purse, which I am currently eating. That means I can save my other three apples that I bought for another time. It's very pragmatic.

When we got back from Gator Corner we hung out in our room for a bit and listened to some music, talked, went online. Gabe was very impressed with my new fuzzy pillow. It's wonderful. Gabe left at about 2:30 to hang out with his friend Alex, and Hilary and I left with her friend Nicole to go to the Harn Art museum to hear this crazy artist talk. His work is a little crazy. It's all circus themed stuff about politics. It's very dark and scary. But Friday he has a show at the University Art Museum that features his FBI files. Apparently he wrote to the FBI for three years, then in 2000 they finally sent him his file, which was 780 pages long. They had been following him for 23 years because he was in this thing called Peace, which was affiliated with the Communist party. He mentioned that he had worked in hollywood for a while in the 50's, and I think he was blacklisted. So cool. But yeah, he found out all these people in his life who had actually been working for the FBI. Students, neighbors, lovers. It was crazy. So we want to go over there Friday and see his show based on that.

After the art museum Will and I did some shopping. We first looked around for a microwave, and on the way I bought a new wallet thing that I've been looking for (that ended up being $13...grr), a shower rod that actually fits the closet opening, a ream (reem?) of paper, and cutips (you forget the randomest things going to college). We finally ended up at Walmart for a second time to buy the microwave. It's decent. After Walmart we went to McAlister's for dinner. Yay for $6 dinner. And for free refills on the sweet tea. Then we went to publix, and I failed my goal of keeping it under $50. It was $52.34. But I bought many groceries for many different meals. I may eat breakfast and dinner. I was excited also to buy lunch meat. It just feels so officially here to have bought food. Feels less temporary. I still have some groceries to buy, like to make real food, but I want to wait until I'm more settled and have an idea of what I want to cook. Right now I'm trying to make it to Wednesday and find where all my classes are. Will is taking me tomorrow to find them. I finally gave in and dropped that education class, Human Growth and Development. I don't know why I was so scared to do it, it's just...eh. I get paranoid about important things and I was afraid that like I'll want to drop another class and won't be able to, or I would accidentally drop the wrong class, or something dumb would happen. I need to become more sure of myself. On a lighter note, I am pleasantly surprised at my ability to be social. I was a little concerned that I would be too shy, but I say hi to people who leave their doors open and sometimes go sit out in the common area to meet people.

After shopping we went to Will's appt to make his bed and just get some loose ends tied up over there, and also to put away the meat and milk he bought at publix. Then we came over to Hume to unload my stuff and get my groceries put away. I went downstairs to meet some ATL people. Saw Allison, Kristina, Tom, Anderson, and Kyu Lana. They were going bowling, so I only talked to them for a minute, then Will and I left to meet Peter at the movies. We wanted to see 40 Year Old Virgin, but there was an enormous amount of people at the theater and the show sold out 40 minutes before it was starting. Will and Peter wanted to go rent something, but I brought up the option of going to the other theater to see Wedding Crashers. They apparently hadn't thought of that, because it makes too much sense. The other theater was like deserted. We got in and got seats no problem. It was so weird. Anyway, the movie was good. Again.

When I got back I had planned to go to sleep early (note: it is now 3:10) after spending a bit of time on the computer. I left my door open though, and heard a bunch of people outside playing cards. I really love my room location. I'm the first room after the common area. So if I leave my door open while I'm in here doing stuff, if anything interesting is going on out there I can hear it. Earlier this afternoon I went out and watched a bit of Reservoir Dogs with some people. I forget their names. Anyway, I ended up playing cards (mostly Texas Hold 'Em) with...let's see if I can remember: Chris, George, Holly, Melissa?, Jon (no h), Stefan, David, and Dan. Wow, I did really well remembering all their names. I remember what they look like, so I figure if I write their names down I can recognize them in the hall or whatever. They're all on my floor except Holly. We played poker for a good long while, and I held my own. I ended up winning a few pots. It was fun. We got yelled at by our RA for violating quiet hours, but instead of leaving like she told us to we just spent the rest of the time quietly bitching about her. Apparently her boyfriend is really annoying. I dunno, I've seen him around. The point is, we had a good time despite her. I was glad that I skipped out bowling with the ATLers. When 40 Year Old Virgin was sold out I was a little disappointed and thought I had made a bad decision to not go with them, but it turned out really fun.

I think tomorrow I'm going furniture shopping with Will to finish furnishing his bedroom, and trying to figure out my schedule. Other than that, I don't know. At this point, I'm just glad that I have cottage cheese so I'm not hungry in the morning. ^_^

Sing for me...


:: 2005 13 August :: 11.06pm
:: Mood: frustrated

Computer Escapades
Exploratory mission to Best Buy to look at computers was futile. I went to Circuit City to check things out, and found the HP 4150 that was in my price range, the right size, right specs, etc. Went home and talked to the 'rents about my findings.

Went back to Best Buy to see what their price on the 4150 was, and if they had other computers that I liked, but I was pretty set in HP. Found the 4150 and then found out that the 4170 was $50 cheaper after all the rebates and whatnot. Asked if it was in stock, of course it wasn't. So the guy told me there were 2 in transit and that they would be in tomorrow.

Went over with my mom to purchase the 4170. Still wasn't in stock, but the guy said it would be in Tuesday at the latest. So we went ahead and paid for it, got all the antivirus software, the service plan, everything. Waited all weekend for them to call, then decided to take matters into my own hands.

Called Best Buy to try to see if my computer had come in. Their phones were apparently down, so I just drove over there. Talked to Vince, who told me whoever had taken my order screwed up, and hadn't actually ordered the computer. He called up Aventura and had them ship one up on the shuttle, and told me it would be in by friday. I told him I was leaving Monday, so I really needed to have it. He said it would be in before Monday no problem.

Called Best Buy and actually got an answer. The guy checked to see if it had come, and of course, it had not. He said it would definitely, definitely be in tomorrow.

Called with no answer for a while after picking up my dad and brother from their trip to Las Vegas. Went over with my mom at about noon with the intention of causing a scene and/or making a fuss. Talked to Jeul, who said that the computer was definitely on the shuttle, which usually comes in at 10 but was running late. He tried to see if I was interested in getting a comparable computer at the same price, but I was kinda leaning against that. I had taken a long time to choose this computer, and I just wanted what I bought. Jeul gave me his cell phone number and said he would call me within an hour. My mom kind of hinted that I had been to the store a million times before and used the term "compensated for our trouble." Jeul gave us a $25 gift card. Not bad, but still not a laptop.
Did some shopping in the meantime and got home around three. Called Jeul twice with no answer. At five I decided to go back over there. Before I left I found the Sony Vaio and Toshiba models with similar specs to my HP computer that I bought. Jeul told me when I got there that the shuttle had not come and was very interested in exploring other options. Long story short, after looking at a few different computers (they tried to stick me on a 17" HP with a Pentium 4 processor...gross) I ended up with a Sony Vaio. It had less hard drive space (80 GB instead of 100 GB with HP) and had half the RAM. It was, though, $250 more than the HP one. Jeul said that he would upgrade the memory to 1 GB, the same amount that was in the HP. I was a little hesitant to make the switch to Sony, since I didn't really know anything about it. But eventually I decided that having a computer that was comparable to the one I wanted was better than having no computer. I know my roommate has a vaio, and she loves it. So I agreed to get this one, and they reduced the price so it's the same as the one I bought. All in all, it was a pretty good deal. I asked Yuval (Best Buy employee who was in my first grade class at Del Prado) which he would take if the vaio and HP were the same price, and he said hands down the vaio. That made me a little more comfortable. He's been really nice this whole time. So I got the Vaio with upgraded memory and the software installed.
In the middle of checking out I called my brother to tell him what was up, and my dad called me back like 5 minutes later. He was like if I were you I wouldn't touch a vaio. And I was like why not? He said the only reason they're willing to lower the price for you is because they can't give them away. I was just like that's not true at all. They were doing me a huge favor making that computer the same price, and they lost $150 on it. So I was kinda pissed for a while that he would call after I made a decision and tell me what a crappy decision I made. We have been fighting like this whole summer about my computer because he won't let me just make the damn decision. It wouldn't be so bad if he had any idea what he was talking about. I spent like an hour with him telling me the differences between a "laptop" and a "notebook" and how laptops have pentium 4 processors and are cheaper and anything with a centrino processor is a notebook and is more expensive. It's just rediculous, because notebook is just what laptops are called now! It makes me so angry that he just rolls off everything as fact when he has no idea what the hell he's saying, then tries to base MY decisions off of his BS!

Ok, enough random ranting for the night. I'm just frustrated. But I'm happy now that I have a computer and it's working and it's actually in my possession. *sigh*

2 Songs | Sing for me...

Woohu.com | Random Journal